Thursday, December 13, 2007

Is Marriage Still Sacred?

For as long as I can remember I've always said that me and marriage would be a one shot deal. I'm only getting married once. And we will make it work dammit! Point blank, period. Aint gon be no damn divorcing. Still feel that way actually.

But in all honesty I suppose my overly fantasizing ass cant really make that call until I'm knee deep in it. Real life often gets in the way of what we intend to do. No one marries with the intention of eventually divorcing the person you just swore to love, honor and cherish for the rest of your days. You said 'for richer or poorer, in sickness and health' and you were supposed to mean that shit! It seems that everyone wants it but everyone isn't willing to work for it and stick it out. The divorce rate is only getting higher. Everyone wants the marriage their grandparents had back in the day. Everyone wants to celebrate their 50th anniversary like Anna and Russell (That was a Cosby Show reference for those of you not following), or to use a real life couple, like Ruby and Ossie, but hell even THEY had an open marriage!!!!!

The bottom line is marriage is hard. No one ever said it was gon be easy. Even me and these dreaming eyes of mine know that. I know its gon be times when I'm gon wake up and be tired of looking at this muthafucka! lol. I gotta imagine being married 20 some odd years or so you might be tempted to get tired of someone. That's why you gotta be proactive about finding new ways to keep the spark there. Nowadays people divorce for petty shit. They treat it like it's grade school and they can "go with" and "quit" people all willy nilly.

So I say all that to ask if marriage is really sacred anymore? Do people really realize what they are vowing when they take their vows? At what point do you throw in the towel?

There are a few scenarios that I can think of that would cause me to have them papers drawn up. I MIGHT (and that's a pretty big fuckin' 'MIGHT') forgive an indiscretion once, but that's it. You cant keep your legs closed you gon hafta roll! If I found out that you usta be someone else and changed your identity before we met then that means I didn't marry who I thought I married......yeah *two fingers* chica. Intentionally harm some kids IN ANY WAY? Heffa, there's the door! I could go on but you get the point.

So what would be your deal breakers and/or reasons to divorce?

5 comments:

Eb the Celeb said...

Do you know I actually had a boyfriend tell me before that you mind as well settle for me because do you really think your going to find someone that you can be with for the rest of your life... and if you do if you really feel that you will be the only person he sleeps with for the rest of your life after you get married... needless to say that was the end of that relationship... As a whole, NO marriage is not still sacred... but in each indivual case... you have to make it so

and by the way... I love love love that Cosby episode!

Teej said...

Wow Ebonne and he like, said that with a serious face? Wow!

Eb the Celeb said...

i know right... by the way... love your default pic... the saying in the back... the t-shirt, and the bracelet... your pic is definitely a work of art... gotta work out getting my pic to be that deep..lol

T.a.c.D said...

i don't know what the deal breaker would be, ABUSE of any kind to me or my kids, you gotta go OR hell i'll leave, either way, i can't be getting my ass whopped on or made to feel dumb every day...NEGATIVE...and sleeping around, like having a serious all out relationship with someone else, hell no you gotta go!

i think that society has made it easy to walk away, like people are buses, there is another one coming or something and people take it that lightly so its not sacred...

but its sacred to ME and will have to be for whomever i marry...so we'll take those steps, including pre-marital conseling, marital conseling, all that good stuff...keep it spiced up...i have a couple of married friends and they say its HARD work, most folks think that love and relationships are "la la" but they aren't they are a job...

so you gotta be willing to work at it...ya smell me...LOL

Summer G said...

NAW NEGRO! YOU NEED TO POST!
Talkin about ME?!