Saturday, June 19, 2010

To Terrence On His Birthday (#19....30 Writes in 30 Days)

Dear Terrence,

I just want you to know that I will never let you live down the fact that I saved your life that day right after the basketball game we went to at Hyde Park high school when we were about 8 and 9.

Don't you remember? They started shooting and I instinctively ran for cover and for some reason you froze like a dear in headlights and started crying in the middle of gunfire? Remember how I risked life and limb and ran back into harms way to come get you and we went to that McDonald's on 66th and Stony to recollect ourselves?

Now I know you'll probably pull that whole 'you saved me from getting hit by that speeding car' bit out your ass. And while that is (somewhat) true, let it be noted that my heroic act came first. So in actuality, your good timing wouldn't even be possible if it weren't for my bravery in the first place.

Anyways, I say all that to say have a Happy Birthday (that was made possible by me....for saving your life.)

Sincerely,

Teej

p.s. I'll save the story of how I usta get whoopings for writing on the walls in crayon b/c I'd come home from pre-school and teach you all the alphabet and numbers that I'd just learned for your next birthday.

No comments: