Thursday, February 22, 2007

Soulmates?.....Word? (Repost)

Last week a friend of mine and I were discussing relationships (lol...been doing that alot lately it seems) and the topic of Soulmates came up. So maybe Im looking at it with a lil too much reality and the such....but the notion of a 'soulmate' is absolutely ridiculous when you really think about it. What is a soulmate? The one person in the world that you were born to be with and vice versa. WTF? Does that really make sense? Cant you just get along really well with someone? Is compatibility not enough? Must it be 'soulmates'?!!?!?

Most people live in the same city for the majority of their life looking for their soulmate? If Im in Chicago...how ignorant would I have to be to assume my soulmate was also in Chicago. What if my soulmate is in Iceland or some shit. What if they were born 30 years before or after me?...b/c you know people always assume their soulmate is in the same age range.

Dont get me wrong....Im probably the most fairytale ending wishing, head in the clouds, dreaming, sentimental dude you've ever came across in your life, but the notion of just one person meant for me to truly be with is a bit much. Even for me and these dreaming eyes of mine. Now I do believe that there is somebody for everybody. I believe that if 2 people share enough in common, geniunely care and love each other, and are willing to put up with the others BS (b/c EVERYBODY comes with their own form of BS....whether they change it for the better later or not) then they can make it as a couple. But a 'soulmate'?

Nah son....I aint buying it.......as much as I would love to. Reality just wont let me. For the record...I aint trying to shape no one's opinion or crush anyone's dream. Just sharing my opinion for what it's worth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess a soulmate could also be the person who you are most attracted to and who shares that same attraction. Also, who is to say that you can't have several soulmates in a lifetime.

Not to be a depressing but if you find a soulmate and that person dies, there may be someone else for you too.

I agree that soulmate is given way to much emphasis on being just ONE person ever.

T.a.c.D said...

I don't know what i think about this one...I don't know if I think that there is just ONE person for everyone, or if its just the ONE person that you find or that finds you and you get along/connect/bond with the most...

I think I have to think about this one...can't wait to see what everyone else has to say about it.