Friday, September 25, 2009

We Can Get Deeper (What We Talkin' About?)

“What we talkin’ bout real shit or we talkin’ bout rhymes?
You talkin’ bout millions or you talking’ bout mine?
What we talkin’ bout? Cuz I ain’t got time
For what people be talkin’ bout all the time
What we talkin’ bout fiction or we talkin bout fact?
You talkin’ bout fiction? Hold up pardon my back
…..I ain’t talkin’ bout profit. I’m talkin’ bout pain.
I’m talkin’ bout despair. I’m talkin’ bout shame.
I ain’t talkin’ bout gossip….I’m talkin’ bout real shit.
Them people playin’
What is you talkin’ bout? I don’t know what y’all sayin’”
- Jay-Z ”What We Talking About?”

I’ve been listening to that song on repeat for the past couple weeks. It sums it all up for me. I’m a little disgruntled with people in general and with pop culture as a whole. Almost everything and everyone seems to spew superficial nonsense to me lately. Where’s the depth yall? Are we are suffice with just staying on the surface?

Maybe I need to lay off the twitter. Between the increasingly ridiculous trending topics, the play by play on all the dumbest tv shows (Frankie & Neffe anyone?), and of course the ever popular ”lemme tell you what Im doing at the club” tweets, maybe twitter has sped up my disdain for pop culture because it serves a big ass sampler platter of it all.

Do I give a shit about Lamar Odom and Khloe Kardashian? Not really.

What did Beyonce eat for breakfast? Why the fuck would I care?

Is Amber Rose’s ass really real? #kanyeshrug

And then there is the beast of “Reality TV”. How or why did anyone see fit to have crooked ass Tom DeLay on “Dancing With The Stars”? Did the producers know that he had to resign his political seat due to pressure coming down because of his illegal activities? Rod Blagojevich tried to sell a Senate seat yo! That is crazy illegal and immoral, and yet…..he did a fucking media tour!!! Letterman, The View, Larry King, etc. WTF? I wont even go in on “Real Housewives of Atlanta” or “Real and Chance”, let alone “Tiny and Toya” or the aforementioned “Frankie and Neffe”. Have I tuned into any of those shows? Yes but it damn sure aint must see TV for me. I aint Tivo’ing that shit!

Of course Im not calling ANYONE out in particular. We are all guilty of some (or in drastic cases…..ALL) of this shit. Everything in moderation though yall. Do what you do I suppose. Far be it from me to say what works for you personally. Im just voicing my frustration at all this monkeyball shit.

I do realize that I may come off as simply venting here and if that is indeed the case I encourage you to gander up at the title of this blog. No not the title of this particular entry, but the title of the blog as a whole. Case closed.

1 comment:

Isley Nicole Melton said...

See!!!?????!!!!! Twitter is the devil lol! Get off while you still have your soul and brain cells!!!!!!!!