Thursday, November 02, 2006

One Of Those Fly Ass Love Songs

Is there anything better in the world than one of those fly ass love songs? A love song that if you happen to be in a great relationship, it makes you take a minute to reflect on how grateful you are to be in that relationship? Or if you are single we're talking a love song that can give you something to aspire to?

Remember the anticipation you felt when you first found out that Lauryn had recorded a duet with D'Angelo for her album? What did you feel like when you first heard it? Remember......

"These buildings could drift out to sea
Some natural catastrophe
Still there's no place Id rather be
cause nothing even matters to me"


Man listen! There aint much fucking wtih that. How about Amel's "Make Me Whole"? Is that not one of the greatest love songs you've ever ever heard in your whole life? Yeah...where the hell do I sign up for THAT kinda love!?!?!?!? Fuck all that regular watered down shit. I want that pure shit mayn!!!

"I think the angels are your brothers
They told you about me
said 'you're just what she needs'
And I find myself thanking your mother
For giving birth to a saint
My spirit flies when I say your name
If there's one thing that's true

It's that I was born to love you"

Are you fucking serious!?!?!?! How can you not feel that? How can you not wanna attain THAT feeling? Must be a hole in your soul if you can find a way not absorb that.

Now dont get me twisted here. I can spit hiphop with the best of them. I do consider myself a head as Im pretty well versed with it. I dunno though....Im just different my good people. I've always vibed especially well with ballads. I can clearly remember being clowned by my brother and cousin for sitting in the dark by myself and listening to slow songs when I was like 11 or something. I just dig them shits. Always have. When I get a new R&B album the first thing I listen for are the ballads. There's just nothing like a fly ass love song I tell you.

Nothing beats it.
Nothing compares.

8 comments:

jendayi said...

What's got you reminiscing on these good old love ballads? ;-)

"Your love completes my existance. You're the other half that makes me whole..." Mmmm.. That's one of the sweetest songs I've ever heard. It meant that much more to me because I was in love at the time. Remembering this song and those moments gives me goosebumps. Of course, EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THE UNIVERSE had 'Nothing Even Matters' on repeat. That callabo marked a special time in music history. I wasn't in a relationship at that time, but I surely FELT it.

My sister used to come into my room, notice me sitting on the floor looking out the window with my lights off and music on and say, "Are you In One of Your Moods again?!" and roll her eyes. No LIE Teej.

Have you listened to Robin Thicke's ballads off his new album? I'm sure you'll fall in love with them.

T.a.c.D said...

I am totally feeling you...Love songs, they just take you to another place and space in the world...everything around you can be crashing, but you put on that love song, and just feel something inside...I got a CLASSIC for you
"Lady of my life" by Mike Jackson
There'll be no darkness tonight
Lady our love will shine
Just put your trust in my heart
And meet me in paradise
You're every wonder in this world to me
A treasure time won't steal away

So let me keep you warm
Through the shadows of the night
Let me touch you with my love
I can make you feel so right
Just come into my arms
While the world goes spinnin' by
And in the glow of candlelight
I will show you you're the lady in my life


WHAT you can't get no better than that...are you serious...OMGoodness I got to go listen to that right now...

jendayi said...

http://mcarroll4716.blogspot.com/
listen to the virtual playlist on the right to hear robin. May I suggest "Lost Without You" and "I Need Love"?

Afro Diva said...

What's funny is that I used to avoid love songs like the plague. Back in my holy roller days I couldn't deal with all the feelings and emotions they brought up. Now that I am little heathen, I can truly enjoy the sensuality of a good ballad. Now if only I had someone to slowdance with...

Anonymous said...

nah son.. you gotta be hard up in here son

Anonymous said...

I am not in love....so listening to ballads makes me want to have someone to have in mind. Now I just imagine I will feel that way someday soon, again.

The first song a man sang to me was Keith Sweat "You May Be Young"....Go figure! The worst part was my Daddy was on the phone and heard this older man singin this to me. Needless to say I was grounded for about a month without any phone privledges and ole boy got a good ole Daddy cussing! ;-) Dayum Keith!

Blu Jewel said...

i'm so feeling you. i love songs with intense lyrics and the ones you mentioned are a few of the good ones. Seal's Love Divine, India.Arie's, The Truth, Dionne Warwicks Captain of the Heart, to name a few have some incredible lyrics. I'm a connosiuer of lyrics of any genre.

TDJ said...

New to your blog and loving this post! So many great slow jam!